Saturday, April 14, 2007

Fun Times

I love lyrics. The way that some people write just blows my mind. I love the imagery in this song. ;)

It's been a long time, Guy Forsyth

It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.

When I was a kid I used to draw airplanes with stars and bars shooting down airplanes adorned with hammers and sickles.

I bought a hundred water guns so I could save the world, saving my lunch money and stealing my father’s quarters, dimes and nickels.

I discovered religion watching Luke Skywalker rescue princess Laeh and destroy the Death Star by just letting go and closing his eyes.

And I devoured comic books, three color mythologies taught me right and wrong and if you believe, you can fly.

It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.

I remember listening to songs about trains and feeling the rush of wonder at the possibility that world was infinite and accessible all at the same time.

Then it was songs about highways, and “Born to be wild” and “Little Red Corvette” and the road went on forever in my mind.

But now it’s clogged bumper to bumper with stinkin’ SUVs and two story Pick-Up trucks that can drive over anything but the two story Pick-Up truck right in front of it.

Now even the highways look the same, Starbucks, 711’s and Wal-marts jam the feeder roads; we don’t live around this mess we live under it.

It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.
Since I felt fine

Now all the songs are about gangsters and guns and the TV speeds by at 100 deaths per hour. And everyone wants to pull of the crime of the century.

Steal 200 ga-zillion dollars, enough to buy myself an island and build a real honest to God train on it for no one but me.

And get away with it, get away with it. We Americans are freedom loving people and nothing says freedom like getting away with it.

We went from Billy the Kid to Richard Nixon, Enron, Exxon, OJ Simpson, we used to dream about heroes but now its just about how to beat the system.

So where do we go to dream now, up onto the roofs of the projects straining through the city lights to see if they’ve built golden arches on the moon yet?

Self-medicated, half sedated trying our best to stay distracted, living life according to the TV set. Corporations, owning nations, telling us “Don’t change the station”; it’s the only safe way to win the Human Race.

I wonder how the world sees us. Rich beyond compare, powerful without equal; a spoiled drunk 15 year old waving a gun in their face.

It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.
It’s been a long (x13) time.
Since I felt fine.


Bare with me since I couldn't find those lyrics online anywhere. I typed them out myself. If anyone wants to hear the song, its on my iPod.

No comments: